Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Restoring classic films, but not in a crappy remake way.

Working at Cinemark theaters at Arundel Mills always seems to have its benefits. Half off concession items, flexible hours, and let's not forget the free admissions to every movie showing (excluding midnight premieres for big films). One other benefit I can reap is that I always know what special films we would be showing, even weeks or months in advance through the discussion with any senior or general manager.


One spectacular special we always have is the showing of classic films called Cinemark Classic Series. Such films we've had in the past are "The Godfather," "The Birds," "Casablanca," and "Cabaret." But one that was recently shown this very night of October 10th was Victor Fleming's "Gone with the Wind" starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh.

I went to see it with my mother and sister. This was my first experience of the 1939 classic and I was glad to have shared it with part of my family.

I won't get too much into the movie but I have to say that it is quite a film and I am extremely mad at myself for not having seen it sooner. It is so superb in so many ways. The acting is phenomenal, especially with Gable and Leigh, the cinematography and lighting is stunning, and the emotion proposed that the audience and I felt was so touching.

It has a pretty depressing ending, I might add.

"Gone with the Wind" is the first film of Cinemark's current Classic Series sequence. The next one to show is the supercalifragilisticexpialidotious film that is, of course, "Mary Poppins" starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. Even though I have already seen this wonderful film, I'll definitely still see it.

Other films we have coming up in the next month in the Classic Series are "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," "Young Frankenstein (just in time for Halloween)," "The Great Escape," and "The Sting."

This is a fantastic way to expose people who roam Arundel Mills mall to classic films that inspired others today to follow in their glorious footsteps, for example Adam Sandler*.














*I'm kidding of course

1 comment: